Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Creating Quick Flagstone Bases.

I've been working on some Famous Monsters minis from Heritage lately and decided that I wanted all of the bases to match. The integral bases on the minis are various sizes so I decided to use a standard sized base and sculpt a simple flagstone texture to integrate the original base into the overall texture.

Looks like a Monster Mash is about to break out.
I used Renedra plastic bases since they're nice and thin. This means they won't get too chunky once I've added some putty texturing. The two minis, a Wolfman and Hunchback, were cleaned up with knife and file and then super glued to the bases.



Hairy and Hunchy look a little gray today.
I added greenstuff putty to the bases and sculpted it even with the integral bases on the minis. Then I textured it with a metal bristled brush. This layer doesn't have to be perfect since it'll be mostly covered over with stones.





Once the dirt layer is dry I added little blobs of putty to make the flagstones. I'm using bronze/brown putty here for contrast but most any putty will work. Try to make sure that these go over the original base to hide the edge.


The stones are formed with a dental tool and I try to keep them all evenly flat with one another. This is the only time that you have to be somewhat careful but there's still a lot of room for leeway.


Once the stone putty is cured you can go over it with a sanding stick to really even the stones out. Then they're ready for priming and painting. 

8 comments:

  1. Great job! Can I use a small flat-head screwdriver and jeweler's files instead of a dental tool and sanding files?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that would work fine. Jewelers files might gunk up more quickly but give it a try.

      Delete
  2. Love what you've done here! Come check out the Heritage Dungeon Dwellers & galacta group in G+

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! Were these Reaper reissues, with the bases re-tooled to remove the flagstone textures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are original Heritage castings. I didn't know that Reaper reissued them.

      Delete
    2. Reaper has a line of Classic Monsters that covers the big three, bit no Bride or hunchback, etc. Studio Miniatures has quite a few though. Thanks to your PDF of the rules, I may be recreating this game with new miniatures as I have with the two Dungeon Dwellers games.

      Delete